Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Presidential Fallacies

Everyday now I turn on the TV(which can be a problem itself), and everyday I see the same thing. I see three people vying for the most important job in America. Now that isn't my problem, my problem is that it's too reminiscient of my days in middle school. It is truly getting old. Watching CNN is like watching The Real World.
"There is one job we can't afford on-the-job training for - our next President. That could be the costliest job training in history," - Clinton
"My understanding is she wasn't treasury secretary in the Clinton administration. I don't know exactly what experience she's claiming," - Obama
In all honesty it bothers me enough that our "top" candidates spend countless millions on the campaign trail in an attempt to get themselves recognized as the best for the job. If there is one quality I would like my candidate to have other than intelligence it would be humility, but the masses wont allow for humility so instead we get a one-upathon where each candidate is forced to make promises and attack there opponents credibility and integrity which in and of itself shows a lack of integrity and in my opinion credibility as well. Why do I need to watch a highly publicized and immature verbal battle between supposedly intelligent and reasonable adults.How have we allowed it to get this far. Personally I dont trust any of the candidates at all, if someone is willing to do that much in there own self-interest then they are already showing me qualities that make me uncomfortable. Add all that to the fact that the race for the presidency feels like a race to become Prom King/Queen on a much grander scale. I understand that quite obviously the president will be making some very serious decisions, but why then do they indulge in such a ridiculous public relations circus show where the sole intention is to look likeable on camera and "relate" to a certain demographic of people(<----also BS). Why do these future leaders of our country country constantly make hollow promises, preaching that they have the answers for every concievable important problem that we face. More importantly in this vein of thinking why do we allow the media to manipulate what is considered to be the"important" issues of the day. In my humble opinion an issue like gay marriage should be put on the backburner. As far as important issues go, the ethics of gay marriage pale in comparison to our reliance on foreign oil, and our willingness to forcibly access it, as well as our need for clean alternate energy. These are just a few among the countless other more pressing matters America has on its plate. For the love of god or whomever, please just give me a straight shooter, a realistic, no bullshit person whom isn't going to sugar coat me with garbage I can't believe.
Another thing that truly bothers me about our run for the presidency is why we end up with a mere two people to choose from in the eventual running of our country. Now I understand it starts off with a much larger berth of people, but how many of those people are limited, or more importantly limit themselves to a single party, a single mindset. How can I take a candidate serious if he isn't willing to change his ideas lest he be looked down upon by the members of his party or called a flip-flopper(or some such bs). Why don't other parties even get considered for the president? Why have we trapped ourselves in such a way that when two candidates from the same party come near the grand finale one must drop out or fear splitting the vote? Why do voters allow this to happen by labeling themselves a Democrat or a Republican, and therefore take away there own ability to open there minds to a potential different candidate.
Why is it that when the New York Times has a headline stating that Clinton's aids can't figure out how to discredit Obama, I am forced to see Hillary's campaign inadequacies on CNN and MSNBC the same night, further cementing an Obama win because the vast majority of people in our country will merely read a headline from a Television show or Newspaper roll with what is being said and feign actual knowledge? Why? How come? Why isn't? I feel like Curious George getting ready to sip on ether, something really needs to change for the better.

No comments: